A 100 mile Obsession. My H1 Journey and Race Report




H1 Race Map with all the aid stations and estimated distances from one station to another.

I wrote this in order to capture the magnificence, beauty, magnanimity and complexity of the race some call the hardest 100 miler this side of the planet. It is officially called Hardcore 100 miles Trail Ultramarathon or some call it H1. It is a record of the beautiful, humbling and sometimes funny thoughts, memories, emotions, experiences and journey i did to accomplish my first 100 miler.


HOW DO YOU PREPARE TO RUN A 100MILE TRAIL ULTRAMARATHON IN 6 MONTHS?

It was the biggest question I need to answer when I decided to run H1 back in August of 2012. 

For the uninitiated, Hardcore 100 miles Trail Ultramarathon is a 160km foot race from the town of Kayapa in Nueva Vizcaya (some 1150 meters above sea level) passing thru several barangays to the base of Mt. Pulag then start the long assault to its summit (2949masl) and to Babadak Ranger Station kilometer 62 where the first cutoff of Eighteen (18) hours is imposed. From there, runners need to backtrack the course and back to Dayap Elementary School (kilometer 102) where the second cutoff of Thirty (30) hours will be implemented. If one does not make it to the cutoff, he will be pulled out of the course and the day ends for him. Finally, after running, walking, hiking, crawling, ascending and descending the first 102km, one needs to navigate thru the scenic Old Spanish Trail (more or less 41km) to the summit of Mt. Ugo (2150masl). From the summit, one caps the race with a 17km journey back to the town of Kayapa. Total cutoff time to finish the race is Forty Six (46) hours.

The course is a mix of single track trails, dirt paths, loose gravel paths, concrete tire paths, muddy paths, hanging bridges and dry stream beds. The entire course has an Elevation Gain of more than 10,000 meters (33,000 feet) and the same elevation loss. The temperature Ranges from 0 degrees Celsius (sometimes below zero at Mount Pulag summit area) to 15 degrees Celsius. One needs to be self-sufficient because support crews are not allowed and even if they are allowed, it is futile because a large part of the course cannot be accessed by vehicles. A runner is allowed three (3) drop bags only to be left in kilometer 62, 102 and 125 aid stations where he can put some essentials like food, fresh clothes, shoes and other things. A runner is allowed to have a pacer at kilometer 102 only. The race was given four (4) Ultra Trail du Mont Blanc points due to the distance and difficulty of the course.

When I told my friends that I signed up for H1 and tried to explain to them the race details, it is funny because I got a lot of mixed reactions and questions. Some of them told me its suicide, some called me crazy for even attempting it, some say that I cant even make it thru the halfway mark and some are adamant to say that it can't be done. Instead of being discouraged and just sulk in the thoughts whether or not I can finish it, I made it as my challenge, my fuel, my desire, my goal to say otherwise.


At the time I knew about H1 or almost six (6) months before the race, I have not even run an official marathon, much more an Ultra Marathon. But, I love running and I love being in the mountains so much. Both gave me a sense of freedom and serenity. The mountains for me is a place where what is important is the present and neither the past nor the future doesn't matter. A time where I can enjoy the silence and my thoughts are at peace. Moments where you can be with yourself and just feel the wind blow in your face, smell the trees and the morning dew, feel the brush of leaves in your skin, see the mist that comes out of your mouth when you breathe and marvel at the beauty of the first burst of sunlight during sunrise, being in the mountains recharges me and free me from earths uncertainties. To feel the life of the mountains and see its magnificent beauty are things that remind me of my sheer love of it and what I miss back in my hometown while growing up in Iloilo. 

I have a thesis -- an idea. An idea which attempts to explain something and laid out to be proved or disproved. My thesis is that I could prepare to run a 100mile race in 6 months. Deep inside I knew that I need to be prepared physically, mentally, spiritually and emotionally which I learned are the Four Pillars of a Solid Human foundation. Physical, is the sheer strength needed to run the 100miles. Mental is tied to my own research of what is needed to run a 100mile race --- calculations on the elevation, the pace to be maintained, course elevations, distances, nutrition, weather, equipments, weight of my equipments, hydration, ability to navigate the course etc., etc. Spiritual is to have the belief and faith that somewhere and somehow there is a stronger power who will guide and help me to achieve the goals I set for myself. Emotional is the ability to control and manage your feelings in conformity to the different problems, circumstances and situations you are into.

Coming to my first 100 mile ultra trail marathon, I dont have any idea where to start, I tried to search for some manual, book or manuscript to teach me and guide me how to run a 100 mile race. Guess what? There was none. I then stumbled upon and read about the book Eat & Run by Scott Jurek and Born to Run by Christopher Mcdougall. I dissected and digested these books from cover to cover which gave me an overview of what to expect in a 100 mile race. I also read all the blogs and articles written by several veteran Ultra Runners and Mountain Runners which I could get my hands on.

I combined all the knowledge which I learned from the books, articles and blogs together with the principles which I gathered from experience through the years and tested these during my training runs in the trails and mountains. Through these experiences, I followed certain principles which always worked for me and I believe would get me through my first 100 miler. First, preparation, discipline and good work ethic takes you half way to your goal (whether preparation for training, nutrition, equipment, etc). 
Second, experience is still the best teacher. Third, take control of whatever circumstance you can, prepare for the worst and pray that the other factors will be in your favor come race day. Fourth, the mountain has a life of its own, add the distance, respect it both.


SELF-ASSESMENT, TRAINING PLAN AND RACE PREPARATIONS


After reading books, blogs and articles about Ultra running I learned that I need to put on the mileage. But before I can do that, I need to have an honest assessment of myself which I think every person who will be running their first 100mile must do so. This assessment will include, but is not limited to overall fitness level, nutrition, skill and technique level.

I calculated and planned myself into doing a progressive accumulation of weekly mileage starting from an average of 70km per week from September 2012 until at least 100km to 150km weekly mileage by January of 2013 until race day. I obtained this mileage, with some lapses, together with elevation training until race day. This  calculations was based on my theory that in order to run a certain distance, you should train and run at least two thirds (2/3) of that distance per week. Another thing I learned is the idea of Race Specificity --- so I put myself in doing that same distance per week with a fair amount of elevation gain.


Experience is the best teacher indeed but I have never run a 160km ultramarathon before, much more a TRAIL Ultramarathon which made it more difficult. What I did is to experience and teach myself to feel the things needed for such a race. So I did all the trainings that I can think of to simulate a 160km trail ultra marathon. I tried Bonk training, Night Training, Fatigued Training, Back to Back Long Runs, Super Long Runs, all this together with some Elevation Training. 


To further improve my overall strength, I threw in some road and mountain biking, swimming and mountaineering. I even did attend some yoga classes to improve my flexibility and breathing. (I did some yoga while I was tapering for the reason that I became very restless and it also helped me relax.)


But the greatest improvement I got was when I learned to eat a balanced diet. A diet rich in vegetables and fruits. I also researched the foods that will be provided by the race officials in the aid stations and trained myself to eat those foods in training. I also trained to eat while running. Most of my training diet include sweet potatoes, boiled and fresh bananas, apples, oranges and other fruits I could get my hands on in the local supermarket.


In perspective, I became a student of the sport and I learned from everything, everyone, and everywhere.


The preparation and training really put a lot of toll in my life, my work, personal relationships, social circle, and family which I accept is all part of the sacrifice when your searching for happiness in doing the things that you love.



Do you know where this is?
QUALIFYING RACES FOR H1

H1 is not just any ordinary fun run or race that you could walk in anytime and register. It was designed to test every fiber of your being. Before anyone could join H1, that person need a qualifying race, which means that person have at least ran and finished a 100 kilometer race. 


I immediately searched the internet for qualifying races and learned that Clark to Miyamit Falls 50miles (CM50) race was a qualifier for H1, however I got one more problem on my hand, I could not sign up for CM50 because I have not run a marathon yet. What I did was to ask permission and convinced Atty. Jonnifer Lacanlale (Race Director of CM50 and H1 2nd Placer) if I could register for CM50 pending my qualifying marathon race to which thankfully he agreed (Atty. Jon, Thanks so much!). CM50 was held on 25 November 2012 and my qualifying race for CM50 is Rock and Road Trail Marathon held on 11 November 2012. In short, I need to finish Rock and Road Trail Marathon to qualify for CM50, then after two (2) weeks, I need to finish CM50 to qualify for H1.

ROCK AND ROAD TRAIL MARATHON (First official Marathon and race qualifier for CM50)

A Trail Marathon (42k) thru the trails of Nuvali, Sta. Rosa, Laguna which is a mix of single track trails, animal paths, fire and concrete roads. This race course is flat with little hills and recommended for beginners who want to experience their first trail marathon.

Race started at around 2:30AM. This is where I first met James Tellias (H1 Champion) and Kuyang Yoy Rosin. I tried to pace with James until kilometer 18 where we got lost. After getting back on the right path, James went ahead to win the race. I officially finished my first marathon and was very proud of the result (finished 4th overall for my first marathon).


First Marathon finished. With the H1 race director and organizer Jonel Mendoza 
New Zealand of Nuvali.

CLARK TO MIYAMIT FALLS 50mile Trail Ultra Marathon (First Ultra and Qualifying race for H1)


CM50 is an out-and-back course on footpath connecting Clark to the scenic Miyamit Falls. It is an old trail used primarily by Aetas. The route will take runners from Clark Parade Ground (Start/Finish line) and thru Gate 14, Sacobia River, Puning Spa, Sitio Target, up the dirt road covering the sugar cane plantation, Sitio Ebus (Aeta community), down to the expansive Pasig-Potrero River (river crossing), parallel dirt road along SCTEX, Crow Creek (Sapang Uwak), passing through the Aeta community, then climb an unending uphill of about 10 kilometers to Miyamit Falls and another uphill of about 10km to the peak (about 3kms to Pinatubo crater) and back to Clark. 


Like first loves, you will never forget also your first ultra. When I told Atty. Jon that I will be running CM50 as my first ultra, he laughed and told me that I was very good in picking my first ultra. (There I realized that I will be in for a very tough day)

I was very nervous coming to this race, so I logged in an average of 80 kilometers per week. I planned well for my nutrition and what to put in my drop bags. Due to my busy schedule, I was not able to join the recon runs, so, I made a race strategy. This race strategy involves research and study of the course and the people who will join the race.

I immediately researched and memorized the map, pictures of the course and markers to watch out for which was posted in the blogs and articles of those who made the recon run. (Thanks! Sir Mar Marilag)
 

My race strategy was to memorize the course based on the map and pictures and to identify all the persons who participated in the recon so come race day, I will find someone who made the recon run and whom I can pace with and to follow him to the peak. I also sticked to my plan to power-hike the uphills, ran the flats and bomb the downhills. 

The course was one of the most technical, scenic, and most beautiful course I ever ran and I promised  to run this again. When I finished the race, I learned and experienced a lot of things which I needed to prepare for my first 100 miler. The knowledge I got through experience racing CM50 is slowly unfolding before me. I also got to know a lot of good, eccentric, and fun people from the Ultra Running Community and swapped some stories with them.



My first Ultra Marathon Medal. Courtesy of CM50 and RD Jon






TUNE-UP RACES

To prevent race jitters before an A-race like H1 and gain more experience, I need tune-up races. I then decided to run CONDURA Skyway Marathon because for one reason it is on my bucket list when I first started running and I have not ran an official road marathon.

CONDURA Skyway Marathon (3 February 2013)

I ran the marathon with my brother Andrei Philip Lim and teammate Eric Guieb. I was very glad that my training partner Wilnar Iglesia (2011 BDM160 Champion and current course record holder) agreed to pace me. It was a good tune-up race considering that we have the chance to train and run at 12 midnight. 


I was happy with the results and I am now proud to say that I am an official marathoner.



Done!


With teammates from Quest Timestudio
PIMCO's Love A Tree 50k Trail Run (10 February 2013) 




It was our last tune-up race before H1. It is a 50k Trail Run within Tanay, Rizal climbing two mountains and passing thru several barangays with an elevation gain and loss of more than 1200 meters. It was dubbed and promoted as an International Trail Ultra Marathon. Though I was a bit  disappointed as to the race organization as there were no no proper aid stations, no race maps provided, no proper trail markings, things which I think should be standard for a trail ultra marathon, I just sucked it up and learned my lessons. 









2013 Valentines day, I met with friends who also signed up for H1 among whom are Lorenzo "Doc Toto" Mina, Jr., Bong Alindada, Brian Tan Seng, Ronald Declarador and Wilnar Iglesia. We exchanged ideas and compared notes for race equipments, nutrition, race strategies, last minute preparations and dissected the course portion by portion to come up with some rough estimates needed to finish within the cutoff time. 





My dates during Valentine'ds day.
RECON RUN

I joined the Recon Run on Dec 27 to 28, 2012 to know what to expect come race day. During the two (2) days recon, we were met by strong winds, heavy rain shower and an average tempearature of 0 to 15 degrees celsius going to the peak of Mt. Pulag. During the trek to the peak of Mt. Pulag, we were shivering like hell and on the verge of hypothermia. There I realized that proper race clothing during race day is essential for success considering the length and temperature of the race. I planned accordingly my race apparel, gears and equipments based on this experience.



The recon gang in a section somewhere in between Banao to Balete.
(We were still smiling not knowing what lies ahead of us)

RACE EQUIPMENTS & GEARS
UPPERS -- I decided to wear my Columbia Long Sleeve Tech Shirt with Omni-Heat technology to keep my body temperature warm at all times. 
LOWERS -- Salomon EXO Twinskin shorts was the best choice because it doubles as a compression short giving support to my quads and hamstrings. 
FOOT WEAPONRY -- Two pairs of Salomon SLAB Sense and a pair of Salomon SLAB Fellcross due to its minimalist, lightweight, fast-drying and drainage features. 
SOCKS -- Compressport Compression Socks and Salomon Calf Compression to provide support to my calf muscles.
JACKETS - I packed two jackets, one was a very light wind shell and another is a Mountain Hardwear Typhoon jacket which has a windproof, waterproof, and lightweight design. 
But during race day, I made a really bad decision of bringing only with me my light wind shell for the first 102km of the race and leaving my Mountain Hardwear jacket on the 2nd Drop Bag Station (km 102) which gave me chills everytime I recall that very bad decision.
BACKPACK & VEST – my ever reliable Salomon Advanced Skin SLAB 5 set. Thermal blanket, first aid kit, petzl myo xp headlamp, emergency light, cap, buff, Mountain Hardwear waterproof beanie and an average of at least 1200 calories of nutrition consisting of gels, liquid and solid nutrition like clif blocks or gu chomps.





RACE NUTRITION

I tried and tested different kind of gels, nutri bars and other forms of nutrition available in the market for I learned that every person is different when it comes to what works for them in terms of nutrition. I used them on my tune up races and long training runs. I also trained myself to eat what the aid stations will be serving (boiled bananas and sweet potatoes) during race day. I learned how to eat while running.


For race nutrition I decided to bring an average of at least 1200 calories of nutrition and mixed it up with gels, liquid and solid nutrition like clif blocks or gu chomps. I also brought with me some electrolyte tablets which I regularly take every two (2) hours to prevent cramping and to constantly maintain my electrolyte levels.



PRE-RACE BRIEFING

Pre-race briefing started on the morning of February 22 where I met all the participants, the RD explained in detail the course, markings, aid stations, cut-off times and answered all the queries made by the participants. We were served freshly cooked fried sweet potatoes and coffee.



RACE START

On 22 February 2013, at exactly 11:30PM, I was finally at the start line of H1. I woke up sometime 10:00PM to eat my last meal and took a quick cold shower. I went over to my race pack (which I had prepared in the previous afternoon), gave it a final check, put on my shoes then nervously walked to the Startline. It was a foggy morning and there is a slight rain shower. Visibility in the foggy areas of the course was clearly going to be difficult. There wasn’t a single soul at the starting line that was not nervous (except for Rocky Go of course).

In the final countdown, I kneeled at the starting line, touched the ground, and prayed to god and to the mountains to give me strength to endure, the will to survive, the wisdom to succeed, and hoped that all of my preparations and training will get me through this race.

Someone once said: “Faith is easy to come by when you know the outcome, but the true test of faith is when you don’t know what will happen.” I knew I was in for a very tough race which will test every fiber of my being. 




The Pioneer batch of H1 -- dubbed as the hardest 100 mile trail ultra marathon this side of the planet.
KILOMETER ZERO (0) to KILOMETER 28

The first 10km of the course was a steady assault going up to Pangawan Boundary (14km and 1st Aid station). When we started, James Tellias darted immediately to the front and I was left with the rest of the leadpack consisting of Jon, Koi, and Wilnar. After the first 5km, Kuyang Joe Wacangan and Shine Teh of Malaysia caught up on us.

Jon, Koi and Kuya Joe’s pace was faster and they went ahead so me and Wilnar settled down with our own pace and tried to get ourselves into rhythm and find our steady climbing pace. After 8k and nearing the top of the mossy forest, I had the chance to look down the course and saw a beautiful snake like pattern of headlamps climbing steadily thru the course. 

I had to refill water and get some nutrition in the first aid station knowing that we will be climbing Ambasa Pass then going to Banao where the second aid station will be.

I paced with Wilnar Iglesia in these section and we were caught by Shine Teh of Malaysia in the trails leading to Banao.


KILOMETER 28 to KILOMETER 44

In Banao, we had to refill our water bladders and eat some freshly cooked sweet potatoes. I urged Wilnar to eat a lot and bring some sweet potatoes with him considering that this section is the longest part and most technical but most scenic section of the course.


This is also the section where we will cross a number of hanging bridges where some proved to be difficult to cross considering that the planks are already tilted and we have to be very careful in crossing because it is slippery due to the morning dew.


On the last assault of somewhat 3-4 kilometers leading to the intersection to Napo Tuyak, we caught sight of Kuyang Joe Wacangan and passed him on that assault.


Wilnar, Shine, Kuya Joe and I paced each other til the last 3km leading to Napo Tuyak Elementary School where Wilnar got separated from us. We arrived at Napo Tuyak and ate some solid food consisting of noodles, sandwiches and milo. We waited for Wilnar for about 10 minutes and decided to proceed. (I discovered later after the race that he got lost somewhere after the intersection.)

KILOMETER 44 to KILOMETER 62 (First Cutoff of 18hours)

This is the section which a lot of participants consider as the most difficult uphell section because from Napo Tuyak, it is a 12 kilometer neverending assault to Mt. Pulag's peak.

This is also the section where the temperature drops and ranges around 0 to 8 degrees celsius with strong winds. We were completely soaked because of the constant rainshower brought by a storm that has been battering us since we left Kayapa. In order to keep myself warm, I urged myself to run the flats and power hike the uphills. 


In my opinion, a lot of runners declared themselves Did-Not-Finish (DNF) on this section because by going up, the temperature constantly drops which was coupled with strong gust of winds together with the  dilemma that you cannot keep yourself warm because the uphell assault is so steep and technical that it is hard to get into running pace, as a result, they can't keep their body temperatures warm to the point that almost all runners who were able to make it to Babadak Ranger station (km 62) suffered a slight case of hypothermia.


While plying this route I could not help but think of my good friend Mr. Rocky Go because if I am having trouble with the cold and route, what kind of suffering would he be into?? -- considering that he was only wearing huaraches (Huaraches - sandals whose soles were made of old car tires and held around the leg by leather strings which looks like the sandals of men in the movie 300) --- when climbing this section.


Arriving at Babadak Ranger Station, I was shivering and could not talk properly due to the cold. I caught Atty. Jon packing his things and left as soon as he was finished eating his lunch. Due to the cold, I removed all my wet clothes and spent some time in front of the fire place and ate my lunch there. Shine, Koi, James, and I shared the fireplace. After almost an hour of rest, I changed socks, put on my race clothes, checked my equipment and decided to push it. Some good aid station crew gave me a large garbage bag and I used it as a waterproof jacket. 

KILOMETER 62 to KILOMETER 74

Its all downhill from here going down to Barangay Balete. In going down, James Tellias and Kuya Joe Wacangan caught up on us. We met some participants along the way, those who did not make it to the cutoff and declared themselves DNF, they were riding motorcycles going up to Babadak Ranger Station. 


We arrived at Balete, we refilled our bladders and ate noodles and biscuits considering that it will be dark soon and we need to get in some food for dinner time.
KILOMETER 74 to KILOMETER 102 (Second Cutoff of 30 hours)

This is the longest section of the course and most difficult considering that it was already getting dark and fatigue is slowly setting in. This is the section of the course which I think is the most difficult , courtesy of several smaller mountains which we have to descend and ascend.


The group consisting of Koi, Shine, Kuya Joe and I decided to stick together considering that it is getting dark soon and it would be safer that there is someone running/walking/trekking with you come night time. After some time, we were joined by Mia Constantino (H1 Womens Champion and only female finisher)


There is a section where a trail was cutoff due to a landslide and our group had to jump and climb to cross the other side of the path.


Some 10km to Dayap Elementary School (Km 102), I can see and feel the fatigue setting in all of us. Koi got very sleepy and was at the point short of sleep walking. We have to stop for several times to let him take short naps. We would never leave him because it is quite dangerous and scary to be left alone in a place like that. (You do not know what things will crawl and sleep beside you.)

When we finally checked in at Dayap (Km 102), I have to kiss the ground knowing that we got to the last cutoff sometime 25hours into the race with time to spare to get some nap, rest and food.


We were met and joined by my pacer Mr. Xerxis Delvo Tan who I am deeply grateful in pacing and guiding the group. 





So happy that I made it to the 30 hour cutoff that I had to drop and kiss the ground.


Warming up in front of the fireplace.


Feeling refreshed after getting some nap and food and getting ready for the final 60km of the race.
KILOMETER 102 to KILOMETER 109

This section is mostly downhill and we caught up with Mia Constantino with her pacer Roland Wang Wang somewhere in Enway Tomas and she joined us later on. Even with an hour of rest and sleep, I can still feel the fatigue and there was a time where I just dropped from where I am standing and slept there for 10 minutes.


We stopped at Castillo Village Waiting Shed for some breakfast and had to thank the aid station in the person of Manong Wilfredo who was also one of our guides during the recon run. We chatted for some time and we bid farewell as there is still some 51 kilometers to tread. 



magnificent view
a memory worth keeping


KILOMETER 109 to KILOMETER 122



It was a muddy, steep and long climb going to Amelong Labeng where we had to stop for several times  to rest. When we arrived at the aid station at around 10am, we were welcomed by the Barangay Captain who served us hot coffee and boiled sweet potatoes.

KILOMETER 122 to KILOMETER 125

Due to fatigue, my hamstrings and quadriceps are already busted and this is a part of the course where we have to navigate a very technical downhill section. All the group went ahead of me and I joined them only at Kayapa Proper East Market. The temperature is already getting warm as we are approaching the lowest part of the course which is only 890 meters above sea level and it is already high noon.



KILOMETER 125 to KILOMETER 136

We had our fill of lunch consisting of adobo and rice in Kayapa Proper East Market. This is the start of the long trek up through the old spanish trail leading to Mt. Ugo. We started out at around 12pm where the sun shone at its brightest and the temperature rose where I have to remove my shirt due to the heat and fear of heatstroke. 


This is the part of the race where the body is screaming for rest and urging you to give up but only the mind and the will to finish is taking over. I had a hardtime with this part of the course considering that one wrong step would send a runner towards a 700 to 800 feet of plunge down a cliff. From the stories that I've heard, two mountainbikers plunged to their death here last 2012 at the same time Four Lakes was held.



What was left was the will to go on.
From shivering cold to blistering heat. The magnificence of H1.


A view to behold




One step...one more step...and another...


can you identify who are in the pictures?

KILOMETER 136 to KILOMETER 143


What dig deep means and feels.

During the climb from Kayapa Proper East to Domolpos waiting shed, the group decided to stick and finish together. Overall fatigue had already set in and in order to keep going, I relied on positive mental imagery of people who inspired and supported me together with all the work and sacrifice I had given in training.

Nearing Domolpos Waiting Shed (aid station before climbing Mt. Ugo), the group were scattered in 200 to 300 meters distance apart from one another. I was some 20 minutes behind the rest of the group, then, I saw someone dart out of the waiting shed to Mt. Ugo, it was Koi Grey, suddenly, my heart jumped and an electrifying rush coursed thru my body. I threw my walking stick and started to run the last kilometer to the shed where I was able to catch up on Shine Teh and Kuya Joe where they told me that Koi went ahead. I then knew that he wants third place. Knowing that it was still a race, I made it as my challenge to catch him, I immediately load up on hydration and tried to catch Koi. 

I was very surprised of how I was able to run at that pace considering I have been in constant motion nearly for 40 hours already. I then told my pacer Xerxis Tan to pace me but I have to leave him before the final assault to the peak of Mt. Ugo and I went ahead to catch up on Koi.

Nearing the peak, I was surprised when all of a sudden a group of Downhill Mountain Bikers appeared before me. I then alerted and told them that there are still a lot of runners going up the mountain so they should watch out for them. Checking in at the peak, I was informed that I was some 20 minutes behind. I was not able to run fast going down Mt. Ugo due to the fact that the path going down is covered by small loose rocks and gravel where it gets very slippery. There I saw a huarache sandal and immediately I remembered it was the Huarache of Rocky Go. (See my accounts on the adventure of Rocky Go)



KILOMETER 143 to KILOMETER 160

I load up on hydration again in Domolpos waiting shed and was still 20 minutes behind Koi. From there it is a 17km stretch to the finishline. I ran as fast as I can going thru Domolpos Village and Bundao. From Bundao, it was a steady 9km downhill to the finishline. I knew that I really ran fast from thereon because I can feel that I ran as if I was flying down the course.

After an hour of running and around 3km from the finish line, I could not see signs of Koi and decided to slow down and began to think. Disappointed? Not at all. Glad? Yes. because Koi and the situation made me uncover and realize that with the right motivation and challenge, I can push myself to go beyond my limits. 


Nearing the finish line all the thoughts of what I have done sank on me, I was sad because my adventure/race is slowly finally over and simultaneously happy because I accomplished what I came for. I then began to thank God. For giving me the strength to endure. I began to thank all the people who inspired and supported me through this undertaking. 


I could feel the pain all over my body. I had given my all. I gave everything. I finished my first 100miler.



Wasted and Happy.



Speechless. I have given my all.

No. 1 - James Tellias, No. 2 - Atty. Jon Lacanlale, No. 3 - Koi Grey, and No. 4 - yours truly.

POST RACE THOUGHTS 

It is an extremely painful, exhausting, and draining endeavor for sure, but that’s what makes it appealing. It is the challenge of pushing yourself to the extreme limits of your physical — and oftentimes, your psychological well being. As one friend of mine told me, after running 100km, its all mental from there on. To hardcore ultrarunners, this is the ultimate confirmation that one is indeed a member of the rare breed of people who have completed the distance.


I realized that it doesn't matter whether you finish it or not. The important thing is the journey and what you picked up, learned, realized and gained along the way while doing the thing that you love the most.

I learned more about the importance of race management and preparation, self-awareness, self-experimentation, listening to your body, what dig deep really means and feels, race strategy, the strength to run until I cannot run anymore, then find that inner power to run more and run faster.

It is all about the people you meet, the friends you make, the emotions you felt, the experiences you made which made my H1 journey special and unforgettable. Someone said, that finishing is just an icing on the cake because what matters most is the journey.

All I will say is, the ones who push the limits discover, that the limits sometimes push back.


ACKNOWLEDGMENTS

Thank you my family, law firm partners and friends for their never-ending support.  To my grand dad who at an early age taught me how to hunt, fish, enjoy and read the life and ways of the mountains. My Quest Timestudio and Multisport Iloilo teammates especially Rocky Go, Wilnar Iglesia and Ron Declarador and to all the people and friends I made during this journey, thank you and see you on the trails.



To all the others who prayed for my safety, thank you. Those who gave their help, aid, and support in other forms, my deepest gratitude. 

RD Jonel, wife, crew, staff, marshals and other folks who helped putting up the hardest 100 mile race this side of the planet. Kudos and Job well done.


The people who had the courage to take H1 by its horns.
The Author with his friend, mentor and idol, 
The King of the Different Mountain, Mr. Rocky Go
loot bag?
Medal, buckle and patch

with RD Jonel
the lucky few

official list of finishers

(Photo Courtesy of: Ronald Declarador, Roland Wangwang, Jonel Mendoza and other photographers.)









2 comments: